OVERVIEW: This 2 hour pre-recorded webinar (recorded in June 2022) will give you the latest information about insurance billing and coverage for video and phone psychotherapy sessions, and my best guesses about what is coming when the pandemic emergency orders completely lift. It will attempt to address the question “will our clients lose telehealth coverage, and if so, how can we prepare?” This presentation will share what is known, help you formulate better questions for clients and health plans, and dispel common myths and misconceptions. The webinar is aimed at all psychotherapists nationwide, both in- and out-of network.
- A review of what Place of Service codes, modifiers, and CPT codes should be used for telehealth billing (and why assumptions here can be dangerous)
- Are plans continuing to waive client copayments?
- Will insurance plans continue to cover phone sessions, and cover out-of-network providers?
- The best place (and worst place) to find coverage info
- How documentation for telehealth is different — and why it matters
- What if you give up your office? What address do you put on claims/superbills as your Service Location? Will insurance plans kick you off the network?
- Will you be paid less for telehealth than for in-person sessions?
- Is it legal to work with a client in a different state? (Hint: the answer may surprise you!) If it is legal, does that mean insurance plans will cover it? What if YOU travel out of state, or move out of state?
- The biggest mistakes therapists make that lead to claim denials
- What I see coming in terms of telehealth coverage after the pandemic is over
- What ALL therapists should be thinking about now to avoid client abandonment or treatment interruptions
You’ll also get many helpful resources including two handouts:
- “12 Essential Questions to Ask When Checking Coverage,” and
- “What to Ask a Plan When Giving Up Your Office or You or Your Client Leaves the State”
Plus tons of great links and downloadable handouts of the presentation.
EASY TO VIEW: The webinar takes no technological know-how to watch — after purchase you will immediately be sent a link. With one easy click you can watch it on your computer or smartphone at your convenience. You can stop and restart, as needed.
CE CREDITS: FOR $15, 2 LEGAL AND ETHICAL CE CREDITS are available for California LCSWs, LMFTs, LPCCs or LEPs; Other licensees should check with their licensing board for credit — we have no information about which licensing boards might approve them. CEs can be obtained by watching the recording anytime within one year. Anyone can purchase the CE ticket if you want a certification of completion. For more about CEs, see “CE Policies” below.
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE: This training is aimed at a nationwide audience, and is appropriate for psychotherapists, students, counselors in training, billers, or therapy office managers, regardless of experience level.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER: Barbara Griswold, LMFT, is author of “Navigating the Insurance Maze: The Therapist’s Complete Guide to Working with Insurance — And Whether You Should” (8th edition). Barbara has taught hundreds of trainings and provides phone consultations to therapists nationwide about insurance, progress notes, and building thriving private practices. Her mission is to help therapists feel as good about the business side of their practice as the clinical side. She invites you to contact her via this website.
THE LOWDOWN: AFTER PURCHASE, YOU SHOULD BE IMMEDIATELY REDIRECTED BACK TO A “THANK YOU PAGE” — SCROLL DOWN THAT PAGE AND LOOK CAREFULLY FOR THE LITTLE BLUE links for the WEBINAR LINK AND HANDOUTS. We will send a follow up email with these links within one business day. If you do not receive this please CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not receive it within 1 business day.
CE Policies: For those who signed up for CE credits, a link to the post-test will be sent with the webinar link. You must complete this evaluation and post-test and pass with a score of 70% before a CE certificate will be issued. The certificate will come via email within 2 hours of submitting the test. If you fail the test, you will receive an email notifying you of this, with instructions to retake the test. If you do not receive a certificate or failure notification within 24 hours, and have checked your spam folder, please contact us at email@example.com. CEs are only guaranteed for California BBS licensees, others should check with their licensing board for possible credit. Your certificate will be dated when you take the test. Barbara Griswold is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor education for California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Barbara Griswold LMFT maintains responsibility for this course and its content. Please contact Barbara with questions, complaints, or requests for accommodations. For complete CE policies, see https://theinsurancemaze.com/cepolicies/
Are you doing telehealth and need Telehealth Consent, Telehealth Policies, and Credit Card Authorization forms? Check out my Practice Forms Packet — click here
Disclaimer: Information in the webinar is intended as general education only, and is not a substitute for getting direct information from the client’s insurance plan, or from a legal advisor. All prices are subject to change.