In your career as a psychotherapist, you probably got all your billing wisdom from supervisors and colleagues along the way. Unfortunately, due to their lack of training in this area, it is likely that some of the billing practices you were taught are actually unethical, and you may unknowingly be committing insurance fraud.
In this non-shaming webinar, we will help you identify common billing procedures that are actually fraud — even if unintentional. We will answer all your questions about insurance fraud — both the ones you were afraid to ask, and the ones you didn’t know you should ask, including:
- What are the 6 most common types of insurance fraud?
- Is it fraud to:
- bill two health plans for a couples session?
- bill a health plan different fees for different clients?
- offer sliding fees to insurance clients?
- charge insurance clients a higher fee than your regular fee?
- put a higher fee on your superbill/statement than you collected?
- waive copayments or deductibles? Waive out-of-network client payments?
- bill insurance for an entire session even if a client is late?
- not report all diagnoses to the health plan?
- change a client’s diagnosis?
- rewrite your session notes after getting a records request?
- make it look like someone else performed the session?
- negotiate a private pay arrangement with a client whose health plan you have a contract with?
- What can I do now to change my habits to avoid fraud?
Plus, you’ll get two great handouts:
- “13 Ways You Might be Committing Insurance Fraud”
- “Missed Sessions: What Does Being Too Nice Cost You?”
CE CREDITS: 2 LEGAL AND ETHICAL CE CREDITS are available for California LCSWs, LMFTs, LPCCs or LEPs; Other licensees should check with their licensing board for credit — we have no information about which licensing boards might approve them. Anyone can purchase the CE ticket if you want a certification of completion. For more about CEs, see below.
IMPORTANT: AFTER PURCHASE, DON’T LEAVE THE SCREEN! YOU WILL BE IMMEDIATELY REDIRECTED TO A THANK YOU PAGE — scroll down this page to find the blue links to the webinar and handouts (and CE test link, if purchased). We will follow up with a separate email with these links within 1 business day, in case you didn’t get them. If you do not receive this follow-up email, please CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER.
CE FAQs: To receive your CE certificate, just choose the CE ticket option, and along with the webinar link, you will be sent a link to complete a brief evaluation and post-test after viewing the webinar. If you get 70% correct, YOUR CERTIFICATE WILL BE SENT VIA E-MAIL within 15 minutes of submitting the evaluation. Please check your spam folder if you do not see it. If you do not receive it, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Barbara Griswold LMFT (CAMFT CE provider #023504) is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor education for California LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Barbara Griswold maintains responsibility for this course and its content. For complete CE policies, click here
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE: This training is aimed at a nationwide audience, and is appropriate for psychotherapists, students, counselors in training, billers, or therapy office managers, regardless of experience level or practice setting.
Disclaimer: The webinar speaks in generalities about insurance billing and requirements. Laws, regulations, and policies will vary by state, health plan, and client policy. Nothing said takes the place of legal advice.